The Curtain With

Where I post sometimes.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Elton John

Songs I Wish I Was In The Recording Studio To Hear and Experience:

Funeral For a Friend - Elton John

There is something so meticulous about this song that makes it seem so intriguing to me. My only wish is that i could be transplanted to the Chateau (the Honky one to the initiated) to see Elton playing piano for this song. I find it absolutely amazing.

Larks Tongues In Aspic (Parts I & II) - King Crimson

Again, another very progressive piece. Anything Fripp did up until 1975 was just pure sex. That's not to say the stuff he did afterwards wasn't great but his real golden Era was from 69-75 in my limited opinion. The stuff he did with Brian Eno is worth considerable listening too.

Close To The Edge - Yes

If you're listening to a Yes song, chances are the lyrics are pretty abhorrent and the music and peerless vocals are what keeps you attracted. However, on this track they pretty much got everything right, even twittering birds.

Rainy Day Women # 12 and 35 - Bob Dylan

Just so the question "What the fuck?" can finally be answered adequately.

Echoes - Pink Floyd

This song originated not from a rythmic pattern or a progression but from a ping! on a keyboard. How fascinating would it be to see the genesis of this track?

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

This is arguably the best thing he ever put on plastic and i would love to watch this song take it's shape. I'm sure he had no idea what he was about to do when he composed Like A Rolling Stone, but i'm pretty sure there was a moment when they were recording where Dylan must have looked at Al Kooper and said something like "Shit, man" and he just knew. Or maybe i'm just a romantic.

Layla - Derek and the Dominoes

IF YOU REMEMBER THIS RIFF YOU NEED TO BUY THIS ALL ENCOMPASSING 70's MEGAHIT COMPILATION ALBUM!

Living For The City - Stevie Wonder

Everyone go out and buy Innervisions! NOW! DIDDE MAO!

And the following Beach Boys songs

All of Pet Sounds

and Good Vibrations


etc.

Notice i included no Beatles tunes. That's because i've read enough stuff on their recording methods and sessions to have practically been there.


Love, A Sheffield Wednesday Supporter

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim? said...

Well see didn't Waters say that Echoes was just 23 minutes of nothing? I mean, if you were in the sessions that they recorded that piece in, you probably wouldn't even know they were making a song, except for maybe the couple sections where they jam in the key of A for a bit. I think it's A anyway. That and our 40 second orgasm at the 18:14 second mark.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

that orgasm would be everything. If i remember the Waters thing correctly he said that it was formed from bits of "nothing" but my general assumption is that they didn't splice these bits together but retooled them and re-recorded them to a viable and listenable construct. plus that orgasm.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

"Aw man, my voice is gone. Wanna do it again?"

11:48 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

I think if I could pick any song that I could have been present in the recording of... it... I think it would have to be John Coltrane's Blue Train.
I can't imagine what it would be like to hear that song being created. *sexual shudder*

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home